Re: LC_ALL

On Mon, 2005-08-15 at 13:59 +0200, Bruno Haible wrote:
> I don't agree on this. glibc and CLDR provide different data for the same
> things. A setting of LC_ALL=fa_IR should switch all CLDR data to Persian,
> not only the part for which glibc has APIs.
>
> The difference regarding the locale name is only a minor point. We can
> build a 1-1 mapping between those naming conventions, and anyway, the
> vast majority of users have a locale named   ll_CC, which is valid in
> both ways.

You seem to be right.

But something we can't map easily, is the part after the "@". These are
low-level customizations, as opposed to higher level customization which
a user may have. These are not like a fixed set like a few alternate
selectors really, but are dynamic. These are not like the LC_* things
that map to another locale either.

Perhaps we should have an environment variable for these, or one for
each. Perhaps one could set LOCALE to
"collation=phonebook,currency=DDM"?

roozbeh