Re: Random thoughts

On Thu, 2005-08-11 at 17:46 +0200, Bruno Haible wrote:
> Do you need only a setter API for the various locale data elements - kind
> of opposite to nl_langinfo(), that has an effect only in memory on a given
> locale_t object? Or do you think of APIs that write configuration, entered
> by the user, to the filesystem in the user's home directory?

I was thinking about the second, writing configuration to the disk. This
will mostly be used by a certain configuration software also created by
us.

But that setting may need to take effect immediately also, so the
instance may also need to be changed in memory.

I can think of some reasons why applications would like to do a
temporary hot change in memory, but have not thought about that before.
Ideas?

> More generally, do you need functionalities that would not be adequate for
> a console or KDE application?

Yes, I guess so. But you are right, we should try to separate that to
another library.

roozbeh