Re: [libxml++] patch to allow building without glibmm

On Fri, 2005-10-28 at 08:50 -0300, Darko Miletic wrote:
> Simon Reye wrote:
> > I'm new here and I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this
> > discussion to continue but the dependence on glibmm is a pain in the
> > neck for those of us who want the latest and greatest libxml++ on
> > Windows.  If someone can prove me wrong, great.
>
> This is open source project. Murray Cumming just told you that he will
> not change libxml++ 2.x branch. And that's it. If the maintainer of the
> project says no,

I should point out that Christophe is the real maintainer. I'm just
trying to point out the obvious.

Also, we had a vote about this, to resolve this issue, so that we could
get on with the development while others could do what they liked via
forking/patching/branching/etc if it's important enough to them.

>  the only thing you can do is one of these things:
>
> 1. Accept and move on.
> 2. Accept and create a new project based on libxml++ 2.x that uses
> std::string (fork)
> 3. Accept and create a new project based on libxml++ 1.x that
> incorporates all the changes and fixes from 2.x branch (fork v2)
> 4. Incorporate and maintain your own private version of libxml++ 2.x
> with the patches for std::string into your project(s).
>
> I was presented with the same choice when I started to use libxml++.
> Because I did not want to depend on glibmm I choose libxml++ 1.04. Later
> some additional patches where needed so I decided to incorporate
> complete source of this patched version of libxml++ 1.04 in my project
> just to avoid problems on the linux side and not to be dependant on
> frequent version changes.
>
> So far this approach works perfectly both on windows and linux. Of
> course this also means that you should do static link with your version
> of libxml++.

If it's important to you, then I recommend that you request
maintainership of that branch.

Murray