RE: [libxml++] static libio

> Le sam 06/12/2003 à 14:47, Murray Cumming Comneon com a écrit :
> > > I have a small problem with libio. I need to keep the
> possibility to
> > > install multiple version of libxml++
> >
> > Why would you need multiple versions installed?
>
> Because of the way debian works (and other distrib). If
> packages A and B both depends on libxml++ and have different
> maintainers, you can have a situation (from the user point of
> view) where you upgrade A which needs
> libxml++13 (and apt-get will download and install libxml++13 for you)
> but libxml++12 need to stay on your system until the
> maintainer of B upload an updated package built against
> libxml++13. This is a very common situation.

I think what you need is API stability, and that is on the way. If not, why
else would 2 packages need different versions of libxml++?

This should be completely analogous to libraries such as gtk+. You do not
need different versions of gtk+ 2.2 installed, apart from the unpleasant
stuff with the different versions of gcc, of course.

murrayc usa net