RE: [libxml++] static libio

Le sam 06/12/2003 à 14:47, Murray Cumming Comneon com a écrit :
> > I have a small problem with libio. I need to keep the possibility
> > to install multiple version of libxml++
>
> Why would you need multiple versions installed?

Because of the way debian works (and other distrib). If packages A and B
both depends on libxml++ and have different maintainers, you can have a
situation (from the user point of view) where you upgrade A which needs
libxml++13 (and apt-get will download and install libxml++13 for you)
but libxml++12 need to stay on your system until the maintainer of B
upload an updated package built against libxml++13.
This is a very common situation.

The most popular way to deal with this problem is to create from the
source package libxml++ two binary packages libxml++13 and libxml++-dev.
This way if you link an app with libxml++, you link it against the last
version (because libxml++-dev comes from the more recent source
package). And previous libxml++12 can stay on the system as long as a
package use it.
That implies that everything in libxml++{soname} has the soname in its
path or in its name. Otherwise different versions would want to install
the same file (ie. would not me simultaneously installable).

Hope it clarifies my problem.

I have not read the thread you mention. I will read it.

Christophe