Re: [libxml++] static libio

On Sat, Dec 06, 2003 at 09:10:06PM +0100, Murray Cumming Comneon com wrote:
> I think what you need is API stability, and that is on the way. If not, why
> else would 2 packages need different versions of libxml++?

Note that it's not a theorical question but a practical one.
Should I wait for libxml++ 0.28 ?
Right now we have 0.23 and it's not easy to compile today's app with it.

> This should be completely analogous to libraries such as gtk+. You do not
> need different versions of gtk+ 2.2 installed, apart from the unpleasant
> stuff with the different versions of gcc, of course.

I am not sure it's a good example. On my system, I have both gtk+ v1 and
gtk+ v2 installed. The reason I can do that is because any of these
packages contains a file which does not include the version number in
its path or name.

If you can confirm that the api of libio without bumbing the soname, I
can package it separately. But as long as only libxml++ use libio,
it seems to be an heavy solution.

What are the reasons to not statically link libio in libxml++?
Or at least make it install in a libxml++ path instead of directly in
/usr/lib/ (like /usr/lib/libxml++${major}/ as common practice).

Christophe Barbé <christophe barbe ufies org>

Dogs come when they're called;
cats take a message and get back to you later. --Mary Bly