Re: [libxml++] Releasing an RPM?

Christophe de VIENNE wrote:

Le Mercredi 9 Avril 2003 17:31, Stefan Seefeld a écrit :

This authority may or may not be the
development team itself (see debian).

Who decides this ?

In my experience people show up suggesting that they port
a project to a specific platform, i.e. create packages.
There isn't really any need for a decision. Neither can I
stop someone from porting/distributing a package of a project
I'm leading, nor do I want to.
Quite in the contrary: as often such work involves at least
minor changes, I'm very interested into integrating these
patches into the code repository, to keep the packages as
much in sync with the project itself as possible.
That's the reason to include package-generating scripts
(such as the '.spec' file Murray was referring to) in the
project's own repository, instead of keeping it separate.

As far as specific distributions such as debian are concerned,
there is a whole protocol to follow to become an official
package maintainer. That is outside the control of individual
projects, it's part of debian administration.

Regards,
		Stefan