RE: [libxml++] Releasing an RPM?

> From: Cyril Bortolato [mailto:borto users sourceforge net]
> I was wondering if you could release RPMs (source and for x86)
> of libxml++ 0.22, and going forward, of future versions as well.
> I noticed there was the template of a spec file in your CVS to
> enable building such RPMs.

I strongly discourage any 3rd party RPMs:
http://www.advogato.org/article/573.html
(Because this is a general question it would be most helpful for you to
disagree there rather than in this thread).

Though I am generally willing to have a .spec file in the tarball for people
to make SRPMs from. This is what I said in response to a recent similar
request for orbitcpp:

For gtkmm we (I and advogato and Owen Taylor) eventually decided that
- spec files are mostly useless because distros make their own.
- spec files are slightly (just slightly) useful because distros
_might_ use them as a starting point, so it encourages them.
- People are free to submit patches, but we won't say that the spec
files are supported. The spec files are meant for source RPMs because
some people like to manage their installs that way.
- We will _not_ encourage 3rd party distributions of binary RPMs. In
fact, we will probably slap them down if we find them.

Murray Cumming
murrayc usa net