Re: [sigc] Proposal for standardization in C++ Library TR2

On Wed, 2005-07-27 at 11:49 -0500, Doug Gregor wrote:
> On Jul 27, 2005, at 11:42 AM, Paul Davis wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 2005-07-27 at 11:25 -0500, Doug Gregor wrote:
> >> So, here's big question #1:
> >>
> >> What the heck do we call a signal? I'd like to call it "signal", but
> >> that name is already taken in namespace "std". Some other ideas, in no
> >> particular order:
> >>
> >>    1) publisher (and "subscriber", for slots)
> >>    2) event
> >>    3) delegate
> >>    4) multifunction (since there's a "function" already in tr1)
> >>    5) subject (and "observer", for slots; probably too generic)
> >
> > event++
>
> It'd have to be just "event", because it needs to be the name of the
> class template akin to "signal" or "Signal".
>
> > i've always disliked the way that the terminology "signals and slots"
> > hides what is actually happening, and makes it hard for some
> > programmers
> > to understand what this is all for. personally, i'd love to see "event"
> > and "callback" or "event_handler" for slots.
>
> Thanks for your input! "Signals" definitely does have that confusion
> factor with those Unixy signals, whereas "event" and "handler" are
> common terminology for this sort of thing.

I'm disappointed we can't have std::signal (What's using that), but for
now event/handler seems to be the best alternative.

Windows coders will be convinced that events are for interprocess
communication and/or that they all go into a central queue, but they are
easily confused.

--
Murray Cumming
murrayc murrayc com