Re: [sigc] Proposal for standardization in C++ Library TR2

On Wed, 2005-07-27 at 11:25 -0500, Doug Gregor wrote:
> So, here's big question #1:
>
> What the heck do we call a signal? I'd like to call it "signal", but
> that name is already taken in namespace "std". Some other ideas, in no
> particular order:
>
>    1) publisher (and "subscriber", for slots)
>    2) event
>    3) delegate
>    4) multifunction (since there's a "function" already in tr1)
>    5) subject (and "observer", for slots; probably too generic)

event++

i've always disliked the way that the terminology "signals and slots"
hides what is actually happening, and makes it hard for some programmers
to understand what this is all for. personally, i'd love to see "event"
and "callback" or "event_handler" for slots.

--p