Re: [sigc] Proposal for standardization in C++ Library TR2

On Jul 26, 2005, at 11:49 AM, Carl Nygard wrote:

On Tue, 2005-07-26 at 17:12 +0200, Murray Cumming wrote:
On Tue, 2005-07-26 at 09:57 -0500, Douglas Gregor wrote:
On Jul 26, 2005, at 6:37 AM, Murray Cumming wrote:
This sounds great to me. Hopefully you can get the document started, as
someone who's experienced with this?

Sure. Some mundanities:

1) We need version control. If you two send me your sourceforge IDs, we
can use the boost-sandbox CVS repository at:

Mine is murrayc

   http://sourceforge.net/projects/boost-sandbox/

2) Any documentation format preferences? LaTeX, HTML, reStructuredText?
Plain HTML might just be easiest...

I tend to use docbook, but I can adapt to anything. A wiki would also be
nice, but it's not essential.

Sourceforge id: cjnygard

Both of you now have read/write access to the boost-sandbox CVS. I've placed a thin skeleton in committee/sigslot/proposal.html. Yep, I wimped out and went with raw HTML, but we can change it if we have to.

So, here's big question #1:

What the heck do we call a signal? I'd like to call it "signal", but that name is already taken in namespace "std". Some other ideas, in no particular order:

  1) publisher (and "subscriber", for slots)
  2) event
  3) delegate
  4) multifunction (since there's a "function" already in tr1)
  5) subject (and "observer", for slots; probably too generic)

	Doug