Re: ERROR:root:Requiring namespace 'Gtk' version '2.0', but '3.0' is already loaded

On Sat, Nov 20, 2010 at 01:14, Robert Park <rbpark exolucere ca> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 2:25 PM, Jiří Techet <techet gmail com> wrote:
>> - Robert mentions that his application works also when the package
>> libchamplain-python (which I suppose to be our static python bindings)
>> is uninstalled. Does it mean that Fedora ships with
>> introspection-based python bindings as well? This is quite interesting
>> because several people have tried to make the PyGObject-based bindings
>> running for libchamplain without any success.
>
> What? I can't possibly be the first person to make this work. I'm
> simply not that smart. You're joking, right?
>
> I was about to say something along the lines of "Surely the API
> reference docs I've been reading were written by people who have
> already done this before, right?" and then it hit me that this whole
> time I've just been referring to the C API reference docs and guessing
> with a great degree of success how to access those methods from
> Python. Go figure.

Yes, I'm afraid we don't have bindings-specific API documentation yet
(and the documentation we have would definitely deserve some
higher-level description of the library functionality).

>> Could this be ported
>> from Fedora to libchamplain?
>
> It worked even better without crashing on Ubuntu Maverick BTW. On
> Maverick, the only package that needed to be installed was
> gir1.0-gtkchamplain-0.4 (well, that one brought in all the other
> dependencies at least). If you want to see some pygobject code that's
> compatible with Maverick, look here:
>
> https://github.com/robru/GottenGeography/blob/release-0.2/gottengeography.py
>
> Very similar code that mostly runs but crashes a lot on Fedora 14 is here:
>
> https://github.com/robru/GottenGeography/blob/master/gottengeography.py
>
> The only reason why my 0.2 code won't run on Fedora 14 was the order
> of the import statements.

OK, my bad, the truth is that I just hadn't tested it before and kind
of assumed that having introspection support isn't enough for working
python bindings (still I assume that the auto-generated bindings
aren't perfect - I'd guess that some tweaks are needed to make the
python API more pythonic). Anyway, cool it works, I've just tested it
with your application (nice app by the way!).

>> (By the way, for libchamplain 0.8 we
>> still don't have any python bindings so we need someone to look into
>> this.)
>
> That's... worrisome. What is the status of introspection support in 0.8?

We don't have the the static python bindings only - introspection
should be working and the introspection-based bindings probably too.

>> - Robert, do you experience the problems only with the python bindings
>> or also with the C demo applications? So far it seems to me like a
>> Fedora problem rather than a libchamplain bug. Correct me if I'm
>> wrong.
>
> I'm not able to test the C demo applications right now, but I _did_
> install emerillon on Fedora 14 and noticed that it didn't crash at all
> when I attempted to recreate the crashes that my app experiences.

OK, thanks, that should be enough.

> I think that's fairly indicative that the problem lies somewhere in
> pygobject and not libchamplain. J5's attitude seems to essentially be
> "yep, fedora 14 ships with a pretty broken pygobject, just develop
> against fedora rawhide and you'll be ok."

Yep, that was my impression too.

Cheers,

Jiri