Re: ERROR:root:Requiring namespace 'Gtk' version '2.0', but '3.0' is already loaded

On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 2:25 PM, Jiří Techet <techet gmail com> wrote:
> - Robert mentions that his application works also when the package
> libchamplain-python (which I suppose to be our static python bindings)
> is uninstalled. Does it mean that Fedora ships with
> introspection-based python bindings as well? This is quite interesting
> because several people have tried to make the PyGObject-based bindings
> running for libchamplain without any success.

What? I can't possibly be the first person to make this work. I'm
simply not that smart. You're joking, right?

I was about to say something along the lines of "Surely the API
reference docs I've been reading were written by people who have
already done this before, right?" and then it hit me that this whole
time I've just been referring to the C API reference docs and guessing
with a great degree of success how to access those methods from
Python. Go figure.

> Could this be ported
> from Fedora to libchamplain?

It worked even better without crashing on Ubuntu Maverick BTW. On
Maverick, the only package that needed to be installed was
gir1.0-gtkchamplain-0.4 (well, that one brought in all the other
dependencies at least). If you want to see some pygobject code that's
compatible with Maverick, look here:

https://github.com/robru/GottenGeography/blob/release-0.2/gottengeography.py

Very similar code that mostly runs but crashes a lot on Fedora 14 is here:

https://github.com/robru/GottenGeography/blob/master/gottengeography.py

The only reason why my 0.2 code won't run on Fedora 14 was the order
of the import statements.

> (By the way, for libchamplain 0.8 we
> still don't have any python bindings so we need someone to look into
> this.)

That's... worrisome. What is the status of introspection support in 0.8?

> - Robert, do you experience the problems only with the python bindings
> or also with the C demo applications? So far it seems to me like a
> Fedora problem rather than a libchamplain bug. Correct me if I'm
> wrong.

I'm not able to test the C demo applications right now, but I _did_
install emerillon on Fedora 14 and noticed that it didn't crash at all
when I attempted to recreate the crashes that my app experiences.

I think that's fairly indicative that the problem lies somewhere in
pygobject and not libchamplain. J5's attitude seems to essentially be
"yep, fedora 14 ships with a pretty broken pygobject, just develop
against fedora rawhide and you'll be ok."

--
http://exolucere.ca