Re: A potentially unpopular question...

On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 10:44 AM, Robert Park <rbpark exolucere ca> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 5:13 PM, Jiří Techet <techet gmail com> wrote:
>> Yes, it should be possible (despite not being legal - you cannot use
>> the tiles in non-web applications according to the license). You can
>
> Are you certain of that?

Ok, sorry, I've skimmed the terms of service, and from what I can
tell, only the _Static_Maps_API_ is restricted to use in a web browser
(static maps allows you to embed a non-navigable static image of a map
in a website without requiring any javascript or any dynamic loading
or anything). No web browser restriction is listed for any other
service (such as the JSON/XML Web Services that mentioned client
applications).

There are many restrictions on things like: you can't use the map data
for any kind of real-time navigation or guidance systems, you can't
use the map data for anything that isn't also free for public use (if
you want to charge users, you have to pay google also).

I don't think any of that is particularly unreasonable. I'd say an
open source application built with libchamplain is the very definition
of "free for public use", so Google should be cool with that.

So, does anybody know what it would take to hook libchamplain into the
official google API? I'd prefer to do this legitimately rather than
hijack into google map's tiles covertly.

--
http://exolucere.ca