Re: A potentially unpopular question...

On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 01:15, Robert Park <rbpark exolucere ca> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I'm just curious if it's possible to create a MapSource based on tiles
> from Google Maps. I understand that this feature doesn't ship with
> libchamplain due to the nonfree nature of Google's data, but I'd
> really like to be able to have a satellite view in my program.
>
> I haven't yet had time to delve into the MapSource documentation to
> see how it ticks, but I'd appreciate if anybody could share their
> experiences in this area.
>
> Thanks.

Yes, it should be possible (despite not being legal - you cannot use
the tiles in non-web applications according to the license). You can
use ChamplainNetworkTileSource and
champlain_network_tile_source_set_uri_format() to create an URI
template into which latitude, longitude and zoom level are substituted
when searching for a given tile. I don't know the exact URI of the
google's tile server - google changes it quite frequently.

Cheers,

Jiri