Re: las-gnome LAS in Montreal: let's talk!

On Tue, Sep 12, 2017 at 1:59 AM, Nuritzi Sanchez
<nuritzis stanfordalumni org> wrote:

I don't think there's *that* much to do, but maybe I've been
misinformed? What sorts of things do you think need planning that I'm
not thinking of? I wasn't at the last "las-gnome", so I don't know if
planning includes finding lodging for folks, etc... LMK what you had
in mind, and I can tell you how much I can handle.

Creating a formal bid should give you a good idea of everything a local team
would need to do. Here's a folder with all of the stuff we put together for
our plan to hold it in San Francisco.

I've got cycles for parts as described below. If others want to help
with the other bits, that works for me, otherwise we can have it be
run without as much hand holding for attendees, or do it elsewhere. By
hand-holding I mean, attendees will have to organize travel
themselves, etc...

Looking at the bid, here are most of the parts that the local team would
need to do if we proceed with Montreal:

Finding local groups that might want to attend and/or sponsor
Advertising at local universities to attract student attendees
Updating the website with relevant info around travel and venue

No cycles, sorry. Others welcome to.

Securing a venue, ideally with about 3 rooms: 1 for talks, 2 for breakout
sessions / unconference

This I can do. No problem.

Helping to get equipment needed for the event (tables, chairs, whiteboards,

Should be good. Only have one projector though. Will need a bit of
help the day of to move chairs around.
Might need funds/help if we need more than 50 chairs. (I'll count, we
have at least 50)

banners, signs, etc)

No cycles.

Planning some social events for attendees

I can plan one. If you need more, you'd have to help.

Finding dining options

Yep here as well.

Finding accommodation options nearby, especially for sponsored attendees

No cycles.

LMK,
Thanks,
James