Re: las-gnome LAS in Montreal: let's talk!

Hi James,

Sorry for the late response!

On Fri, Aug 25, 2017 at 9:58 PM, James <purpleidea gmail com> wrote:
On Fri, Aug 25, 2017 at 2:00 PM, Nuritzi Sanchez
<nuritzis stanfordalumni org> wrote:

> We talked about your suggestion to have LAS in Montreal and wanted to
> connect with you further to find out more about it. Is there a local team
> there that could help us with all of the local planning needed?

I don't think there's *that* much to do, but maybe I've been
misinformed? What sorts of things do you think need planning that I'm
not thinking of? I wasn't at the last "las-gnome", so I don't know if
planning includes finding lodging for folks, etc... LMK what you had
in mind, and I can tell you how much I can handle.

Creating a formal bid should give you a good idea of everything a local team would need to do. Here's a folder with all of the stuff we put together for our plan to hold it in San Francisco.

Looking at the bid, here are most of the parts that the local team would need to do if we proceed with Montreal:
  • Finding local groups that might want to attend and/or sponsor
  • Advertising at local universities to attract student attendees
  • Updating the website with relevant info around travel and venue
  • Securing a venue, ideally with about 3 rooms: 1 for talks, 2 for breakout sessions / unconference
  • Helping to get equipment needed for the event (tables, chairs, whiteboards, banners, signs, etc)
  • Planning some social events for attendees
  • Finding dining options
  • Finding accommodation options nearby, especially for sponsored attendees

Most important bit of info I'd need is the *approx* number of people
that you think would attend. Also the approx dates if you know what
they might be.

We were hoping for 50 - 100 people to attend. We had about 50 people last time in Portland, so we hope to have at least that many this year. We were hoping to do LAS in the Spring, sometime in April or May, but we're definitely open to other suggestions for what works for the organizing team.

Does this sound feasible? I'm also adding Jeff and Hubert, whom I've heard might be interested in helping to be part of the organizing team. Hello, guys :)

Best,
Nuritzi

Nuritzi Sanchez  |  +1.650.218.7388 |  Endless