Re: las-gnome so...what shall we do?

On Wed, Feb 8, 2017 at 6:20 PM Nuritzi Sanchez <nuritzis stanfordalumni org> wrote:
Hey all,

I think we may want to do the conference in the SF Bay Area this year. Here's my idea:

Location: Stanford University
Venue: probably the Tressider Oak Room, or somewhere in the Alumni Center
Stanford has free wifi on campus, and there are a LOT of rooms you can get for free for white boarding. We may need to walk a little to get to the whiteboard rooms, but I think that should be ok.
Food: There are a ton of food options on campus. No transportation necessary.
Cost: I think we could be as cheap as $850 ish /day, including equipment for speakers, tables, and chairs. I need to check pricing though, so don't hold me to this until I investigate further.

So, let's put together the costs and put in bid format.

Lodging: There's a wide range of options, depending on people's budget. We can also see if there's a group rate we can get at a place we think is best.

Cool. :)

Transportation:
Airport: SFO
Getting to Palo Alto from SFO: BART + Caltrain to Palo Alto train station (takes about an hour)
Bus once in Palo Alto / Stanford: The Marguerite bus takes people all around Stanford and surrounding areas

I think there is a bus shuttle or something for $15 bucks that can take you to a caltrain.

We can also leverage student groups on campus since I, and others at Endless, have a great network at Stanford.

Sweet!

I think the total cost for the venue including equipment would be under $5k, and that would include internet and unconference space. I need to create a budget though, so don't hold me to that yet. The major savings would be internet.

Well if we can pull it off then I think that would be awesome especially since it will make fundraising really easy this time.

What do you guys think? If you agree, I'd like to push this forward and get us on the sponsorship brochure we're making so we can start getting funds asap.

+1 from me.  Me and Justin can work on doing the digital marketing and work on fundraising.

Since this will be the second time for people, I think it will go a lot easier this time at least with doing outreach and even better we have success under our belt.

I'm still worried about the political atmosphere, but I'm also okay if it turned out to be a U.S. only conference geared more towards students.

Let me know how you want to proceed... I think the first step is to confirm the numbers, and then start working on a realistic set of dates.

sri

Best,
Nuritzi

On Wed, Feb 1, 2017 at 2:12 AM, Alexandre Franke <afranke gnome org> wrote:
On Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 4:05 PM Rosanna Yuen <zana gnome org> wrote:
> Or Canada? Mexico? I think having something in North America is important.

Both excellent ideas!

On Wed, Feb 1, 2017 at 1:09 AM, Sriram Ramkrishna <sri ramkrishna me> wrote:
> We can throw out a call for hosts and see where it takes us.

Yes, that's probably the way forward. I guess we need to define a set
of parameters the bids need to fit in first (“what are they expecting
from us as organizers?”), as well as a schedule for the bidding
process.

--
Alexandre Franke
GNOME Hacker & Foundation Director

Nuritzi Sanchez  |  +1.650.218.7388 |  Endless