Re: las-gnome Another LAS GNOME Update

Hi Nuritzi,

Nuritzi Sanchez <nuritzis stanfordalumni org> wrote:
The LAS GNOME organizing team had a meeting today and we wanted to send you
a version of our ideas for LAS GNOME 2018 before sending them to the wider
community.

We think a lot of this coincides with what you've already begun to discuss,
but we wanted to send this to you since it deals with defining a new
conference strategy.

Thanks for this! It's great to hear that there are some strategic
discussions happening around this, and thanks for keeping the board in
the loop - it's very useful. Wearing my board hat, I'm happy that the
needs of the local North American GNOME community are being
considered, alongside some of your more ambitious goals.

Proposal for the Libre Application Summit 2018

Step 1: Establish a North American GNOME event
Allan proposed the "North American Summit," to the foundation-list last week
and we think it's a great idea. However, we would like to propose that the
official name of that event have "GNOME" in the title so that we can call it
out as a GNOME-centered event.

I don't actually remember suggesting that name! The obvious issue with
the North American Summit is that it encompasses the whole continent -
what would happen if we wanted to reinstate the Boston Summit in the
future, for example?

Step 2: Co-Host LAS and the North American GNOME event in the "early years"
We would like to incubate the Libre Application Summit within the North
American event mentioned above for about 2 - 5 years. We believe this will
help us get more people to attend and provide enough volunteer manpower and
GNOME-related funding to get LAS off its feet.
As part of this, we would most likely also start calling LAS GNOME just
"LAS" or "Libre Application Summit" to help create that separation between a
GNOME-centered event and one that is meant to outgrow us.

That sounds great and it might be nice to start thinking about
broadening the participants in terms of technologies represented. It
might also be good to invite application developers too.

Allan