las-gnome Notes | LAS GNOME Meeting August 5th

Hi all,

Here are our notes from today. The big takeaways are:

1. We need to fix our registration backend a.s.a.p to enable donation-based fee by this weekend or at the absolute latest next Monday (Aug 8) so we can start promoting to encourage more registrations.

2. We will recommend $50/per night for accommodation to the travel committee for the sponsorship purposes. This price is per pax based on double occupancy for hotels around Portland airport at the low end but still decent.

We are still on track to advertise speakers and encourage attendance on the week of August 8th as we said last week. Let’s make this happen!

Most of us will be at GUADEC next week, so hopefully that’ll make us more accessible to strategize and discuss anything needed.

MEETING NOTES
--------
Aug 5, 2016
Attendees: Zana, Sri, Adelia

• Weekly Updates:
• Talks: 7 talk proposals were received; talks committee have selected 4. Adelia had sent emails to the speakers informing them; as at this morning, only Jim Hall has confirmed his attendance. The other 3 has until 7 Aug to respond. Adelia will inform the rejected speakers after.
• Registered participants (Adelia): 6 people including Sri and Alexandre

Action Items:
High priority! Registration backend: @Sri will chase Patrick to help with rectifying it to enable donation-based fee. Need this latest by Monday so we can go all out promoting people to attend the conference.
Accommodation: Around downtown Portland a little on the high-end at an average of $150/night for double occupancy. We looked at options around Portland airport which cost lower around $80-$100/night double occupancy. Transit to downtown from there is simple and direct on the MEX with about $4.25 for day trip tickets. Based on this, we are going to use that rate as a benchmark for recommended nightly rate for accommodation for travel sponsorship purposes. Participants are expected to make their own hotel bookings. @Sri & local team will call around to ask for discounted room rates for group bookings; best case scenario if we get one, although we do not have much time.
Potential swags for speakers: We can consider what we already have in our inventory i.e. mugs with Zana, t-shirts with Sri.

best,
adelia