Re: What to do about the cairo stuff in gtk+?

On Tue, 2005-07-12 at 16:06 +0200, Murray Cumming wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-07-12 at 15:24 +0200, Torsten Schoenfeld wrote:
> > Aloha,
> >
> > gtk+ 2.8 will add a few Cairo related functions.
>
> What exactly are those functions? I haven't seen anything that looked
> particularly useful.

  If you don't plan to use Cairo with gtk+, nothing important.  If you
want to use cairo, there's at least gdk_drawable_create_cairo_context
which can be considered crucial.  And the whole pango-cairo library
also, if you need to draw text with Cairo.

> >   There wasn't really
> > enough time to create Cairo bindings that can be called "stable" -- in
> > fact, "alpha" describes the situation pretty well, at least for us Perl
> > people.
>
> Yes, and this is a question for all of GNOME. Hopefully it will become
> clearer in the next few days as GNOME hits API freeze.

  According to the GNOME 2.12 release schedule[1], API freeze is
happening right about now.  The only question remaining is whether GNOME
2.12 will use GTK+ 2.8 or GTK+ 2.6, if I understood correctly.  [ A
shame really if we have to stick to GTK+ 2.6 for 6 more months, if you
ask me... ]

[1] http://live.gnome.org/ReleasePlanning_2fTwoPointEleven

> > So, what should language bindings do about those functions in gtk+?
> > Should we wrap them conditionally, depending on whether the
> > corresponding language binding of Cairo itself is already installed?  Or
> > can a stable release of our gtk+ bindings depend on an alpha release of
> > Cairo bindings?
>
> It seems unlikely that we'll manage to wrap cairo stuff in time for
> GNOME 2.10. If you've started, then please mark the API very clearly as
> unstable, until things become clearer.

  What does "we" refer to here?  C++ bindings?  There are already
reasonably stable (but complete) Cairo bindings for python, and PyGTK
2.7 optionally depends on them.

  Regards.

--
Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro
The universe is always one step beyond logic.