Re: What to do about the cairo stuff in gtk+?

On Tue, 2005-07-12 at 15:24 +0200, Torsten Schoenfeld wrote:
> Aloha,
>
> gtk+ 2.8 will add a few Cairo related functions.

What exactly are those functions? I haven't seen anything that looked
particularly useful.

>   There wasn't really
> enough time to create Cairo bindings that can be called "stable" -- in
> fact, "alpha" describes the situation pretty well, at least for us Perl
> people.

Yes, and this is a question for all of GNOME. Hopefully it will become
clearer in the next few days as GNOME hits API freeze.

> So, what should language bindings do about those functions in gtk+?
> Should we wrap them conditionally, depending on whether the
> corresponding language binding of Cairo itself is already installed?  Or
> can a stable release of our gtk+ bindings depend on an alpha release of
> Cairo bindings?

It seems unlikely that we'll manage to wrap cairo stuff in time for
GNOME 2.10. If you've started, then please mark the API very clearly as
unstable, until things become clearer.

--
Murray Cumming
murrayc murrayc com