Re: Keybinding

2011/3/30 Martin Koelewijn <martinkoelewijn gmail com>:
> Hi,
>
> so I tried to do a keybinding for the command "kupfer" using xbindkeys in
> e17, but that creates a new instance every time instead of re-opening
> kupfer. Is this reproducible (just check all the icons in the systray)?
> Letting kupfer do the keybinding itself works perfectly alright btw, but
> since this is mentioned as a possible alternative to installing
> python-keybinder I thought I should mention this.
>
> Martin

It sounds like xkeybinding does not spawn all kupfers inside the same
D-Bus session. That's a requirement, otherwise they won't find each
other. (And that's bad, overwriting each other's configuration files.)

When I originally wrote that, python-keybinder was not as widespread.
I was also mostly referring to metacity's keybinding feature which I
tested and it worked fine. If you have some method of making sure that
your xbindkeys spawns each inside the same D-Bus session, then you
should be fine.  A normal X session should have one D-Bus session bus
and it will be ok.

-ulrik