Re: Missing Icons & Icon Sizes

2011/3/16 SanskritFritz <sanskritfritz gmail com>:
> 2011/3/16 Ulrik Sverdrup <ulrik sverdrup gmail com>
>>
>> Maybe we should include some icons with Kupfer that we can use if the
>> icon theme does not have large icons, I'm attaching a picture of the
>> absolute minimal set that Kupfer needs (filetypes and folders are
>> normally in the icon theme so those are not included). It would use an
>> additional 500 KB install space and would only be loaded into memory
>> if they are used.  Of course it's far from optimal, but at the same
>> time we want Kupfer to look reasonably good.
>
> I dont use Gnome, so I certainly welcome this move.
>
> There is the possibility to use custom icons this way (Kupfer icon themes,
> anyone? :-), so will there be a way to instruct kupfer to use those own
> icons exclusively, not relying on gnome?

I'm not sure that will work --  It is still not be a complete icon
theme, it may evolve to that maybe but hopefully not! The fallbacks
don't include any mimetype icons because those should reasonably be
covered by the default icon theme.

The idea is to have the default needed icons covered. Other missing
icons are easily replaced by generic icons; for example all actions
use the 'system-run' (gearwheels) icon if no other icon is found,
objects use 'kupfer-object' (blue box) as fallback.

There will certainly be trouble with consistency though, as there
always is when an icon them is missing icons. I've been using
gnome-icon-theme version 2.28 for a long time now since it provides
all its icons in .svg (so any size) and it covers most of the whole
icon naming specification.

Unfortunately I have no clue what the current situation looks like for
KDE users or others, and how well this fallback icon scheme will work
for them either. I will code this up and stick it in the development
version soon.

-ulrik