Re: Focus applications with trigger

2011/4/5 Ulrik Sverdrup <ulrik sverdrup gmail com>:
> 2011/4/5 David Martin <david martin mailbox googlemail com>:
>> Hi,
>>
>>> The action Go To on applications has changed implementation. It will first bring to front all yada yada, etc...
>>>    Whatever, it finally works in a sensible way
>>
>> from the changelog for v205. Thanks a bunch for having a look into it!
>> It does indeed focus the most recent window (which is awesome) but
>> it's not yet perfect in my opinion. Two issues:
>> 1) you can't cycle through windows anymore. Before (v204) by focusing
>> an application multiple times it switched through all instances.
>> Personally I liked that.
>>
>> 2) when focusing it seems like Kupfer iterates through all open
>> instances and focusses them until it reaches the most recent one. It's
>> easily reproducible:
>>  - open three windows of any application (eg. Pidgin chats), minimize
>> two of them. Switch to a different workspace and focus Pidgin. The
>> most recent window will be focused but the other two won't be
>> minimized anymore. It's similar with other applications that where in
>> the foreground before. Focussing one window shouldn't affect the other
>> instances.
>>
>> Greetings, David
>>
>> PS: I hope that one day I'll finally read up on Python and can go from
>> niggling about weird issues to actually being able to contribute and
>> fix them myself. ;-)
>
> Ah, I didn't miss your email before, but I didn't find it either when
> I was implementing this. The multiple focusing is intentional to raise
> all windows. Now I changed this on a whim.. hm the window cycle was
> easy to ditch because it worked in the wrong order (least used window
> first). I wonder how we can put all these behaviors into one action.
>
> Right now, it only cycles the workspaces, and if all windows are
> already topmost and on one workspace only, it does nothing.

David,

how do you like the current development version. Now it does,
confusingly, both of these. If the app is only on one workspace, it
will cycle the windows. If it is on multiple, it will only cycle the
workspaces the app is on.  What do you think? Is there anythingthat
should be configurable.

This three-line recipe to try the development version is really quick,
it runs without any building:

git clone git://git.gnome.org/kupfer  kupfer-dev
cd kupfer-dev
./kupfer-run

(Quit any other instance of kupfer before you run this. You don't need
anything more than git and the usual dependiences)

Ulrik