Re: Kupfer c17 nl-fix and questions

Hi,

2009/10/25 Martin Koelewijn <martinkoelewijn gmail com>:
> Hi all,
>
> the nl.po coming with c17 doesn't really work, at highest probability
> my fault. Anyway, new one attached. A question about the translations:
> there is a string
> #: ../kupfer/objects.py:903
> #, python-format
> msgid "Directory source %s"
>
> Is it about a directory / catalog / list ? It's the source of what? Or
> is it something containing sources? I couldn't figure it out comparing
> the other .po files.

Does it crash, or how does it not work? If it crashes we can make a
quick update release.

"Directory source %s" is the source for directory content, for example
Home and Desktop (by default). However, the objects you see take the
name of the directory so I don't think that string is ever shown in
the Interface. That might be frustrating, but the problem is that all
kupfer Objects -- Leaves, Actions, Sources that might be shown in the
interface have to have names.

> Something else: I'm using for myself a plugin that shows info
> about an installed package combining 'aptitude show' and 'apt-cache
> policy' output. (Possible) drawbacks: 1. it requires zenity; 2. only
> useful for distros using aptitude and apt-get; 3. messy code (creating a
> temporary file and deleting that afterwards); 4. I don't know how to get
> it to work with applicationsleaf, only textleaf (the appname should be
> converted to it's packagename to work with appleaf). Anyway, I've
> attached the plugin, maybe someone can do something useful with the
> idea. I'm using os.system('blah') by the way, in the claws-mail plugin
> I saw utils.launch_commandline('blah'), is that better?

The idea in itself is fine. Obscure is also fine, plugins are there
for different users, and now that other people have contributed code,
I don't use all available plugins anymore.

os.system is a big no, what you have is essentially a shell script.
You should use the subprocess module to get the output you are
interested in (that way you hold it as python strings, not temporary
files), then show that. Somehow Kupfer should maybe have a facility to
display information on-screen like you want. Quicksilver has this,
called "Large Type". If Kupfer doesn't do that, you can put together
something in 5 minutes with pygtk that's better than calling zenity.

About AppLeaves, that's absolutely difficult. There is no first-class
application object on linux, and mapping windows to application,
executable to application and packages to applications are all just
done by guesswork.

> Again something else: the claws-mail plugin is very useful, thanks for
> that. Maybe additions like 'attach file to claws mail' and 'attach file
> to claws mail message to...' would be useful?

Absolutely. What's the design of the actions, is it "new email with
this file attached?". We have the tree-piece "subject-action-indirect
object" to work with.

> Well, that's it for now. If I'm spamming or otherwise annoying
> please be patient and enlighten me, I'm fairly new to this kind of
> stuff. Enjoy c17 and stay in touch,
>
> Martin

A chatty list is better than a dead list. I at least am happy to hear
from other users of Kupfer.

Ulrik