Re: [jokosher-devel] Adding support for NewStuffManager
- From: Laszlo Pandy <laszlok2 gmail com>
- To: Sebastian Pösterl <marduk k-d-w org>
- Cc: jokosher-devel-list gnome org
- Subject: Re: [jokosher-devel] Adding support for NewStuffManager
- Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2007 18:02:58 -0500
Sebastian Pösterl wrote:
I'm the maintainter of NewStuffManager and I have an idea to enhance
First of all, Jokosher really rocks and it rocks even more to see that
such a great application is written in Python.
My proposal is to enhance the user's experience by adding support for
NewStuffManager. NewStuffManager is a D-Bus service that runs in
background, downloads plugins for you and copies them to the right
location. As Jokosher supports extenstion this would make perfectly
sense to me. That way the user could easily see when updates for a
plugin are available or browse a list of additional plugins. Then he/she
simply clicks update or install and it's done.
Deskbar-Applet already has an optional support for NewStuffManager. So
you could basically borrow the code from there.
I'm certainly available for further questions or even helping to
implement support for NewStuffManager.
So what do you think about my proposal?
Sounds pretty awesome. I've never used NewStuffManager, so I have a few
- Is it like KHotNewStuff in KDE or something different?
- Does it provide a GUI for us, or do we have to do that ourselves and
hook it up to the dbus service?
- Is it packaged for Ubuntu, Fedora, etc? This would be needed if we
want to fully depend on it.
We could use this for both extensions and presets, which would be really
cool. Thanks for the suggestion. :)
] [Thread Prev