Re: [jokosher-devel] Nearing the freeze

On 25/01/07, Jono Bacon <jonobacon gmail com> wrote:
--> docs vs. userdocs

 I have been thinking a lot about the docs sites, and I think doc.j.o
is becoming irrelevent. I suggest we ditch it, make userdocs docs.j.o
and theme it like the main site. I will then poke the site and make
clear separate sections so that official docs appear on the front page
and people can link to development docs.
There are some really good reasons we did things the way we did.

The most important objection to just using doc.jokosher.org is it is
impossible to edit. The theme is designed to have no edit/info/login
links and look like a web site. It's possible to edit anyway, but
adding ?action=edit to the end of a URL everytime you want to edit a
page is not very usable. It's also maddening to try to edit a few
hundred lines of DocBook in an edit window that's 3.5 cm wide.

It's possible to log in, change to another theme, edit, then change
back to the Jokosher theme to see how it looks. Again, it's not very
usable.

I don't have a problem with unifying the sites, but defaulting to the
current (jokosher) theme will raise the barrier to entry so high no
one will bother. Right now we need all the help we can get.

--
Jeff Ratliff (Gomer_X)