Re: [jokosher-devel] Nearing the freeze

Jono Bacon wrote:
Hi all,

Well, an exciting time is afoot, and Jokosher is nearing its 0.9/1.0
freeze. There is still confusion as to whether we are 0.9 or 1.0, and
just when we were resigned to us being 0.9 because multi-channel card
support may not go in, it seems that the GStreamer side may be fixed
up and we may well have the support in. Elleo is testing it tonight.
:)

I thought this was already decided. Personally I don't think multi-channel recording should be the only thing that makes or breaks us having a 1.0 release. Things like accessibility and total keyboard navigation of the interface is looking really good thanks to Elleo, but this needs to be complete before 1.0. At this point, with 7 weeks until release I still see too many rough edges to call it 1.0. The name "1.0" to me says 100% polished, and this is especially true with open source projects (even though they take much longer than a year to get to 1.0).

--> Multi-channel support

  I think if we can get this in, this is essential. Right now
everything we need is in a released gst, but multi-channel support
will require an updated audioconvert and the deinterleave element -
can we use caps detection to see if the correctly patch audioconvert
is available for correct recording - i.e. if the user has an
audioconvert that does not have the bug fixed, can we disable
multi-channel support?

This is the gstreamer CVS thing again, eh? Since its not a killer feature for everyone, we should probably enable it but tell people who want multi-input cards to use CVS. Yet another reason to not make it 1.0.

--> docs vs. userdocs

  I have been thinking a lot about the docs sites, and I think doc.j.o
is becoming irrelevent. I suggest we ditch it, make userdocs docs.j.o
and theme it like the main site. I will then poke the site and make
clear separate sections so that official docs appear on the front page
and people can link to development docs.

Agreed, I was never really sure why we set up two sites in the first place.

[snip]

 * Mixdown Profiles - Aq is working on this and assures me it will be
in before the freeze. I think Aq needs to hack this, and we should
determine how stable the code is. There is no reason why itcan't go in
and we disable it from the UI if we are not confident it is mature
enough. We not only need the facility, but some actual profiles too,
and I would suggest "update a podcast feed" is the first one to use.

Hmm, maybe we can get some partially functional code committed so we can start testing/hacking/writing mixdown profiles? As our freeze is 6 weeks long this time (and the last one was only 20 days) mixdown profiles will be eligible for a maximum two week exemption from the freeze (if this idea gets approval from two other core devs).

 [snip]

--> Accessability

Elleo has been hacking on some pretty incredible accessibility stuff,
and of course, our effects code is so much more accessible now. Would
be good to get a disabled user or two to test this.

It would be nice to have some accessibility experts give us some feedback and advice, but for the rest of us we can just close our eyes like Elleo does when testing it. I have a wireless keyboard (but not a wireless mouse) and sometimes I will sit on the other side of the room and see how easily I can make Jokosher work using only the keyboard. Everyone should attempt both of these to see how far away (and close) we are from full accessibility.

Laszlo