Re: [jokosher-devel] Recording Problems...

On Wed, Oct 04, 2006 at 12:01:17AM +0100, Jono Bacon wrote:
> On 10/3/06, Luke Tilley <sinisterguy gmail com> wrote:
> > I'm not entirely sure what the 'if track.flags...' part does, but it
> > seems to mute everything except the channels armed for recording. Then
> > the Capture channel is armed, but that only does half of the work. For
> > my sound card AC97 needs to be enabled as well.
> >
> > The quick and dirty fix is obvious: just add:
> >
> > if track.label == 'AC97 Capture':
> >     mixer.set_record(track, True)
> >
> > However, this is quite unelegant as not all sound cards have an 'AC97
> > Capture'. A marginally better way I think, would be to check to see if
> > the sound card is indeed one which needs this hack, but like I said,
> > that would only be marginally better. What do you guys think?
>
> Hmm, this is an interesting one. Elleo has been doing most of the work
> on the ALSA recording side, and I am sure he can offer some
> information.

 Another problem with this whole approach in general is that "Capture" gets translated, so recording is likely to be broken for anyone with a soundcard like this that is using a different locale.

 I've had a chat with MikeS in #gstreamer and as far as he's aware there's no real way around the problem due to it being an ALSA limitation. So we may need to rethink the way we let the user select inputs.

 Cheers,
  Mike.

--
Michael Sheldon