Re: [jokosher-devel] Recording Problems...

On 10/3/06, Luke Tilley <sinisterguy gmail com> wrote:
I'm not entirely sure what the 'if track.flags...' part does, but it
seems to mute everything except the channels armed for recording. Then
the Capture channel is armed, but that only does half of the work. For
my sound card AC97 needs to be enabled as well.

The quick and dirty fix is obvious: just add:

if track.label == 'AC97 Capture':
    mixer.set_record(track, True)

However, this is quite unelegant as not all sound cards have an 'AC97
Capture'. A marginally better way I think, would be to check to see if
the sound card is indeed one which needs this hack, but like I said,
that would only be marginally better. What do you guys think?

Hmm, this is an interesting one. Elleo has been doing most of the work
on the ALSA recording side, and I am sure he can offer some
information. I did look into some of this, and GStreamer has an ALSA
mixer interface that reports which capture inputs are available. Now,
I was under the impression that the Instrument Connections dialog
lists the available inputs that can be selected and this is used to
specify the specific input, but it seems from the above that the
Capture inputs needs to enabled as well.

I would recommend you have a look into the GstAlsaMixer, if I remember
correctly. When I last checked there was not an awful lot of
documentation, so I poked around with different things and used dir()
to figure out what was going on. I am sure the guys in #gstreamer can
be of help too. From what I remember, the mixer capabilities (which
inputs are available) is exposed with the GStreamer ALSA mixer
interface, and each input has a record flag which I assume is set with
set_record().

This probably explains some of the recording problems that some people
have had with 0.1.

 Jono