Re: [jokosher-devel] New runscript

Whilst I admire the run script in all its glory I can't help feeling there is a better way. Either that or its pointing out a glaring hole in the bleeding edge requirements of software such as (and in similar situations to) Jokosher.

I keep getting this nagging feeling that a packaging system with cvs based dependencies lists for the required software would be a better long term solution.

Seems to me that a package creator of sorts is needed. It creates a package that includes links to the cvs repos and can check for either the latest or the required versions. Noting of course that the latest may not be the best.

Perhaps it needs to be called a .bedeb/.berpm. (be = bleeding edge) or a .cvsdeb/.cvsrpm.

Sorry but at this point I should say I am internalising a snigger here at ".berpm"... childish I know. :)

There are probably very good reasons why this isn't done. Stability for one... but when we are dealing with software known to be that far out of the norm and still in 0.2 development level people shouldn't be installing it on stable (read mission critical) systems anyway. Security is another reason as well. I can think of some pretty nasty opportunities for abuse.

Having said all that for the moment this run script still seems a good interim idea. :-) I look forward to testing the latest version available in a couple of days.

Carry on the awesome work folx!

Aaron