Re: GNOME Javascript questions and a bit of presentation

On 09/24/2011 05:54 AM, Eduardo Lima Mitev wrote:
> 1) Is there motivation/interest in the GNOME javascript community to
> implement CommonJS [2] API specs?

Part of the theory behind using JS is that it's more of a "blank slate"
than python, etc, and so we can just use GNOME APIs for everything, and
in particular, not have GNOME APIs and language-specific APIs
conflicting with each other. So to some extent, CommonJS is a bad thing
for us, and we wouldn't want people to use CommonJS APIs like the
proposed IO and HTTPClient APIs in GNOME programs.

However, things like the Modules and Packages APIs, which don't overlap
as much with existing introspection-based GNOME technologies, would make
sense for us to use.

(And it might be useful at some point in the future to have even the
overlappy bits of CommonJS implemented too, to allow people to use other
CommonJS-based modules in GNOME code.)

> 2) Do we have an agreement for the long term, about whether gjs or
> seed will finally be "the" engine?

No. Things are still in exactly the same place they were at the time of
the d-d-l thread you linked to.

-- Dan