Re: GNU gettext for hildon?

On Fri, 2008-02-22 at 11:59 -0500, ext Kyle Nitzsche wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It appears that Hildon does not use standard GNU gettext.
>
> The strings in code that are destined for exposure in the user
> interface are not meaningful English, which I believe they should be
> in order to facilitate/enable translation.

The issue with localisation is well known and discussed in depth last
year. Please see the full thread on maemo-developers:
http://lists.maemo.org/pipermail//maemo-developers/2007-October/012056.html

In short: Nokia needs to figure out in excruciating detail how it needs
to change processes to be able to use gettext normally.

> One implication of this is that Hildon cannot be readily translated in
> systems where the strings in code are displayed as the basis for
> translations, like launchpad.net.

As we do make en_GB translations available, launchpad (or rosetta) could
theoretically make use of that as the basis instead. IIRC Adilson in
principal agreed.

I know that's not helping much :-/

> 1) Should Hildon be modified to implement GNU gettext i81n?

Yes. This would be trivial, but...

> 2) Is the only change required fixing the strings to be meaningful
> English or are there other non-standard aspects?

...we also need to change our processes to match. This is non-trivial.

> 3) Should Hildon packages be set up for intltool as a further step
> towards standardized i18n?

intltool is required only if you have other than C files to translate
(.desktop, .schemas, .xml, etc - see intltool-update) -- if you don't, I
don't know it makes much difference.

--
Tommi Komulainen                            <tommi komulainen nokia com>