Re: [HIG] Reschedule?

On 10Oct2001 11:11PM (-0700), Adam Elman wrote:
 Uh, I don't think so.  My plan was for folks to keep their comments
 to themselves if they could make the meeting, then go through
 point-by-point on IRC and identify points of agreement and
 disagreement.  Then we can continue the discussion on the mailing
 list.  The only folks who needed to post before the meeting were
 those who couldn't make it (i.e. Kathy :).

 So unless everybody else had a different understanding and is just
 being slow, I think that's still the plan.  Comments?

I haven't had time to give the whole document a good reading yet, and
I haven't had a chance to send comments on the sections I have read (I
lost some in-progress comments I had). I probably won't be able to
make the meeting.

That's fine. Your comments as well as those of other reviewers will be welcome at any time during the review period.

I would really like to see other people's comments as a whole in
writing, because I don't think a lengthy IRC log will be a useful
starting point to discussion.

I agree. I or some other lucky volunteer will write a summary review of each section and post it to the list after the meeting. (Sorry, I meant to mention this part of the plan before). I think having one summary review will be more helpful than having everybody's individual review. If you disagree, well, it would've been nice for you to mention that a week ago. :)

Also, this document is quite long and there are many points to
discuss. If even a quarter of those points are controversial, it will
be a very long meeting. How many hours are scheduled for it?

As I said, I'm planning to be very aggressive about keeping point-by-point discussions short. Anything that can't get resolved in a couple of minutes will get noted and tabled.

If this meeting is not useful in the first 30 minutes or so, I think it'd be reasonable to go to plan B and just have everybody mail their individual comments to the list. The main reason for this meeting was that Seth suggested (and I agreed) that it was very important to get explicit agreement on each point, rather than simply arguing about points on which people disagree; otherwise bad things will slip through. If that proves to be more trouble than it's worth, then I have no problem trying an alternate approach.

Adam