[HIG] Today's meeting and next steps

Hey folks --

First, thanks to everybody who participated in today's meeting. It didn't go quite so smoothly as I was hoping, but it did go about as smoothly as I think anyone could reasonably have expected. :)

For those who weren't there: after an hour of going through the current HIG draft point by point and only making it through the first couple of sections, we decided to shift strategies a bit. (Those of you thinking "I told you so" can keep that thought to yourself, please. :) So here is the basic plan for the next phase:

* Everybody who wants to should write up a section-by-section review of the HIG draft and post it to this mailing list. Please follow a few guidelines:
1) In the subject line of your email, please say "REVIEW".
2) Within the review, please go through section-by-section and identify sections by number (if you have them available) or at least name. 3) Please do not gloss over points which you have feelings about, even if they're small. We don't want points to be missed.

These reviews are due by next Thursday, 18 October, at 1900GMT (12 noon PDT). After that point, I (and hopefully some volunteers) will go through the document and integrate the reviews and any discussion which occurs on each point in as comments, targeted as decisions we need to make. We will have this posted by Monday, 22 October.

Discussion on the points should take place in separate email threads. If you want to discuss a particular point, please use the following subject-line syntax:

DISCUSSION: Section 2.2 Menu principles: clipboard commands

This will help us separate discussion threads from the initial reviews, and clarify what's getting discussed.

On Tuesday, 23 October, at 1900GMT (12 noon PDT) we will once again gather on #hig, irc.gnome.org, and go through these decision points and make the decisions. (I've already posted my preferred decision-making process). The content will then be revised accordingly by its authors or other volunteers.

This probably means we'll need to push the rest of the schedule off by a week or so, but no worse than that -- currently we're supposed to have all revisions in by Friday, 26 October, which might be too tight, only 3 days after the meeting at which we decide on the revisions; a week after that should be enough time.

I'll post a summary of the actual meat of the discussion we had on the first few sections today or tomorrow -- I think it was a pretty useful discussion overall, but didn't get anything resolved. I'll also post my own review.

Anyway, thanks again to everyone who has and is participating in this process; it's definitely rough going and frustrating at times, but it's good to see something like this coming together.

later,
Adam