Re: Do you guys know about GTimeLog?

On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 11:30 PM, Bruce van der Kooij
<brucevdkooij gmail com> wrote:

> I'm currently doing an activity "Brainstorming about Hamster" but
> following your advise I've added a Category "Hamster" and changed this
> to just Brainstorming.

my advice was to use descriptions, not categories in this case.
categories are to categorize, and i'm not sure how many different
brainstormings you will be doing.
description though is some extra info that's relevant to the specific
task, but not essential when doing overviews

descriptions can be added via comma (there is also a "tell me more")
link in hamster master branch.

for example, i could now do

hamster, writing letters while sleeping

this will finish up as activity "hamster" with description "writing
while sleeping"

> For me time tracking though is essentially fire and forget, I don't need to
> be reminded about what I'm currently doing (it's quite obvious to me what
> I'm doing).

it's not so obvious to not forget telling hamster what you are doing.

> I'm going to patch Hamster to be able to allow the
> user to configure what should be displayed and what not.

if you do, please also upload the patches to bugzilla, so they can be
reused and committed upstream
also, if you could, please try to keep the general public in mind.

> I'm documenting my thoughts and activities at:
> http://live.gnome.org/ProjectHamster/Ideas

if i may, i would suggest to phrase your observations constructively
and not go ahead with the red revolution thing. also, please try to
avoid words like "annoying".

Finally, instead of trying to drill a hole with a saw, if you can
follow the analogy, how about just letting go with the flow and seeing
if maybe the other way, that you are not used to yet, has earned it's
place under sun for a good reason.

Toms