Re: Do you guys know about GTimeLog?

On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 9:05 PM, Bruce van der Kooij
<brucevdkooij gmail com> wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> I have only just started "using" Hamster since about 30 minutes ago. I was
> previously using GTimeLog (http://mg.pov.lt/gtimelog/).

Hey Bruce!
I sure have heard of GTimeLog and other time trackers, but not really
used any of them (not extensively). I know, a shame not to investigate
alternative solutions properly, but, hey!  :)

> Looking at Hamster it seems
> the major difference is that the way you track time in GTimeLog is by typing
> out the activity when you stop doing it, you don't have to tell the
> application you've started doing something.

exactly. but then again you could say that in hamster you don't have
to tell the application that you've stopped doing something, you just
switch to other activity.

now, regards the t-30 bit for forgotten tasks. In hamster master
branch since today it is possible to specify time in the text input
field. something like
1234-1255 planning world domination

which would translate to 12:34 till 12:55 and activity "stuff"
separators are optional, end time is optional.
parsing out relative minutes (like if the chunk is a negative number,
treat it as t-minutes) should be easy enough if somebody would like to
provide a patch.

so maybe give it a spin!

> Anyways, keep on rocking. I'm going to start using this instead of GTimelog
> for a while and hopefully get my act together and see if there's anything to
> improve. Do you guys happen to hang out on IRC?

email and bugzilla are preferred.
and really - the 2.26 was a sleeper release - give master branch a
spin, a few things have changed

> /me goes looking whether it's possible to prevent the activity itself from
> being displayed in the applet

it could be that this is another difference from gtimelog.
activity name is a good reminder of current activity. by loosing it, i
believe the accuracy would drop beyond usable.
a somewhat different tracking model might be necessary. if you find
yourself typing too long activity names, try out descriptions and keep
activities short. Mine are at most 2 words.

Toms