Re: Problem with the idle detection

2009/7/14 Toms <toms baugis gmail com>:
> oh, btw, that screensaver idle, unless something has changed, is idle
> time after screensaver has kicked in.
> that is, it will be 0 until screensaver kicks in. so the total idle is
> idle+screensaver timeout setting. i think we are using it in the
> hamster, aren't we?

Looks like that from the code, but for whatever reason, I get 60 back
from idle_delay no matter what I set in the screen-saver preferences,
so I am wondering if something is strange with my Gnome for the time
being. I have to look into the matter.

Just a comment on the pop-up: I currently use gtimer to track my time,
and gtimer posts a window when the machine has been idle for more than
5 minutes. Surely irritating if I am looking at a document, but very
convenient if I have to leave for a meeting or some work in the lab.
When I get back to the screen, the friendly window reminds me that I
have been away for a while and asks me what to do with the time. I do
not have many categories, just daily work and meetings as we are
supposed to book meetings separately. I only have one project on which
I work at at the time, and separating into tasks ended up in using a
lot of time organizing the time spent. Hamster has a nicer reporting
than gtimer so I wanted to give it a try. Since "my feature" was
missing from Hamster, I just wanted to see if I could modify it enough
to fit my needs. I dislike screen-savers more than I dislike pop-up
windows.

Kind regards,
--
Svenn