Re: rsync fails with EOPNOTSUPP on Windows share mounted over GVFS

Hi Ondrej:

First of all, thanks for your answer.

first of all, let me say that I strongly advise using "mount -t cifs"
for such kind of tasks like backups over rsync. GVfs is designed
to be used over GIO API by GNOME applications. Fuse mount point
provided by GVfs is a just limited fallback...

Yes, the more I try to use GVfs, the more I realise about its shortcomings.

The trouble is, sometimes I need to mount Windows shares without being root. And that is the only way I know
of.

Besides, it is such a shame that GVfs is almost there, but not quite. If only you could fix its last
remaining issues... 8-)

Back to your issue. GVfs doesn't have such cache and I am a bit confused what
you did and where you see the file (is /home/rdiez/WindowsShares symlink
to /run/user/[uid]/gvfs/?).

Yes, it is symlink'ed. I wrote the following script to automate mounting my shares and symlinking them:

https://github.com/rdiez/Tools/blob/master/MountWindowsShares/mount-windows-shares-gvfs.sh

It might be possible that the fuse daemon crashed and rsync write something
in /run/user/[UID]/gvfs/smb... in the meantime. So, you can see some file
written by rsync in fuse mountpoint, but the file doesn't exist in smb share...

OK, thanks for the hint. I'll take a look the next time it happens.

How would I check whether the daemon has crashed? Is that a user-space application too? What is it called? I
am using Kubuntu LTS 16.04.2, but I also have a similar Xubuntu system. Sometimes I get a crash dialog about
a user-space application that just crashed, but I am not sure whether I would get such a notification from a
system service.

I guess that, if the daemon crashes, it gets restarted automatically. Is it possible to write something to
/run/user/[UID]/gvfs/smb while the daemon is down? Would it land on the local filesystem then? I just tried
to write there without any mounted network shares, but my user account does not have write permissions to the
root /run/user/[UID]/gvfs directory.

Is there a way to turn on debug/trace logging on the GVfs daemon, to see what is going on?

Regards,
  rdiez