Re: "Operation not supported" using EncFS over WebDAV gvfs-mount

On Wed, 2016-05-11 at 14:54 +0200, R. Diez wrote:
Unfortunately GIO is not POSIX-compatible and thus some operations
are
not possible over FUSE, see following commit message:
https://git.gnome.org/browse/gvfs/commit/?id=548ba46c2ba51c4ec5b0dd
8442b476f3a2a7000b
First of all, thanks for your help.
Given that comment, I think stating that "GIO is not POSIX
-compatible" is a vast understatement. Lots of software will just not
work properly.
Did I miss some obvious warning about that? I would argue that, if
GIO mounts something over FUSE, most people would expect it to work
well in normal scenarios. If some weird permission issue arises, no
one would be surprised, but if such basic functionality is missing,
that would be a surprise, right?

And it does work normally in most situations.  I work on documents over
WebDAV via GVFS all the time.  In the case of WebDAV it can also depend
on the backend server - which may or may not permit some operations.

If I need to use gvfs-copy instead of cp to be sure, then I do not
need to mount anything over FUSE!

"cp" should work.

I actually want to mount an encrypted filesystem like EncFS over a
gvfs-mount WebDAV mount, but from your answer, it seems that this is
not possible. If this is a GIO limitation, I take it that it wouldn't
work either for any other mounting protocols like SMB or SSH, would
it?

It depends on a lot of details.  I would expect it to work - but it
does depend on how EncFS does this.  Debugging what GVFS is doing is
not that hard.

In a terminal window I run -
  ulimit -c unlimited
  killall -15 /usr/lib/gvfs/gvfsd \
    /usr/lib/gvfs/gvfs-udisks2-volume-monitor \
    /usr/lib/gvfs/gvfs-afc-volume-monitor \
    /usr/lib/gvfs/gvfs-gphoto2-volume-monitor \
    /usr/lib/gvfs/gvfsd-trash \
    /usr/lib/gvfs/gvfsd-burn \
    /usr/lib/gvfs/gvfsd-metadata \
    /usr/lib/gvfs/gvfsd-http \
    /usr/lib/gvfs/gvfsd-dav
  GVFS_DEBUG=1 GVFS_HTTP_DEBUG=all /usr/lib/gvfs/gvfsd -r

- which whacks all the GVFS services and restarts them in the terminal
window.  Then you can see, or log, the output.

On the other hand, IMO, GVFS stability/compatibility has declined
somewhat in recent iterations.

--
Meetings Coordinator, Michigan Association of Railroad Passengers
537 Shirley St NE Grand Rapids, MI 49503-1754 Phone: 616.581.8010