Re: Plot idl

On Fri, 18 Sep 1998, Miguel de Icaza wrote:

> I personally need Guppi to be as usable as the Plotting module in
> Excel: basically this means that the user should be able to stick
> information in the plot (the Canvas would make this very simple, I
> guess this is the same case for Gtk--Draw).

What do you mean by "stick information in the plot"? I've only used Excel
5.0 for the Mac or something, and not very much.

> I would also require changes to be performed in the plot: for example,
> the user might be able to change the proportion of a bar in a  graphic
> and the result should be fed back into Gnumeric (When doing this in
> Excel, if you change the value for a formula, the Excel Solver is
> invoked to modify the cells from which the modified cell depends, very
> slick stuff).

That's pretty neat. It is slightly harder to implement with the
scatterplot, since you might have a hundred thousand points; those can't
all be canvas items. So you have to do hit detection and movement
manually. But a bar chart, for example, is just a few GnomeCanvasItems and
it should be pretty easy.

Havoc