Re: Parsing DIDL-Lite xml strings

On 26 November 2015 at 09:02, <lohr free fr> wrote:
Hi,

> > If I understand well, gupnp_didl_lite_parser_parse_didl() does two tasks:
> > 1) parse the xml string
> > 2) query the media server about availability of the described media
> >
> > I only need the first half of the job. Is there a way for that?
> > (I know that the media servers won't reply to me at the time I process the strings).
>
> It only does the first :) If you look at
> https://git.gnome.org/browse/gupnp-av/tree/libgupnp-av/gupnp-didl-lite-parser.c
> there is no networking involved.
>
> The "available" signal just means it has found a complete object, item
> or container in the DIDL-Lite document and passes it to you. You can think
> of it more as a filterable call-back, i.e. "object-available" is triggered
> on every item node in the DIDL-Lite, item-available only on items
> ("object.item*" UPnP class) and container-available only on containers
> ("object.container*" UPnP class).

Ho, sorry for the confusion. Many thanks for your explanations.

By the way, is it allowed to have several <item /> within the <DIDL-Lite /> ?
What does it means? What does the Render do with this?
It is supposed to play each <item/> one after the other like a playlist? (even if there is only one uri in the soap message)
Or is it to describe a "composite" media (e.g., a music and an picture)?
Or this is used with other actions (e.g. Transition?) ?

DIDL-Lite is just a way to describe "digital items". What should be done with a DIDL-Lite fragment depends on the context where it appears and I think you haven't mentioned what your context is...

There can be several items in a DIDL-Lite fragment: E.g. a Search result might include all songs in an album.

 - Jussi