Re: [gupnp] difficulties building gupnp and friends

Kim Lester wrote:
Issue 1
The build and install order is neither obvious nor simple IMHO.
I could not find any How-do-I-get-started install notes. It would be invaluable to have some lines saying something like:
a) git clone the following gssdp gupnp .....
b) make and install in the following order due to deps......
b1) for each one run autogen.sh the first time.... (we're not all automake experts)

I guess autogen.sh could be mentioned somewhere, although I really thought that was by far the most common bootstrap method...

Documenting deps is a double edged sword: stale docs are far worse than no docs when the actual code is this simple (see configure.ac):

PKG_CHECK_MODULES(LIBGUPNP, glib-2.0 >= 2.18 \
                            gobject-2.0 >= 2.18 \
                            gmodule-2.0 \
                            gssdp-1.0 >= 0.7 \
                            libsoup-2.4 >= 2.4.1 \
                            libxml-2.0 \
                            uuid)

It really can't get much simpler.

On a related note: the gssdp requirement should actually be 0.7.1 because of GSSDP_ERROR_NO_IP_ADDRESS. This is a bug in GUPnP.

Issue 2
Some comments I've seen state gupnp only needs a few of libs (eg glib, xml2, soap) , well debian seems to think it needs a lot more and when I build the tarballs I seem to need others including libconic etc... Could someone please identify all the deps, preferably in order (partly just so I can built it easily)

The debian package may of course enable any configure flags they want, but the hard dependencies are listed above...

It's not just a matter of getting it built but also understanding just what the final app will depend on. In my case I'm looking at a headless system so naturally I don't want to drag in half of gnome and dozens of libs if possible.

GSSDP+GUPNP depend on exactly 6 libraries and 0.0% of GNOME.

Building from git does have some extra requirements (at least gtk-doc).

If you want to enable/disable things at compile time, please see "./configure --help".

Issue 3
I still can't get it built from git head and the problems are in configure/deps on a clean install of ubuntu 9.10

 [clip]

The gtk-doc errors seem really weird... Maybe reinstall gtk-doc-tools?

3c) And no doubt more things after the above are addressed.

The gupnp libs _really_ shouldn't be difficult to build, I'm sure you've just ran into a weird edge case that will get resolved. I'd be very surprised if they contained huge build problems as you seem to imply.

- Jussi