Re: [gupnp] difficulties building gupnp and friends

On Thu, 2010-01-28 at 01:53 +1100, Kim Lester wrote:
> Issue 1
> The build and install order is neither obvious nor simple IMHO.
> I could not find any How-do-I-get-started install notes. It would be
> invaluable to have some lines saying something like:
> a) git clone the following gssdp gupnp .....

gssdp then gupnp, then anything else you want.

> b) make and install in the following order due to deps......
>       b1) for each one run autogen.sh the first time.... (we're not
> all automake experts)

./autogen.sh is fairly standard for git automake builds, alternatively
autoreconf should work.  Yes, this probably should be documented
somewhere but then again if you are building from git then you're by
definition a developer so should either know this already or be able to
ask. :)

> Issue 2
> Some comments I've seen state gupnp only needs a few of libs (eg glib,
> xml2, soap) , well debian seems to think it needs a lot more and when
> I build the tarballs I seem to need others including libconic etc...
> Could someone please identify all the deps, preferably in order
> (partly just so I can built it easily)

libconic is optional and only makes sense on maemo.  You can tell it's
optional because it looks for it and continues when it doesn't find it.

You'll probably want to tell gupnp to use network-manager as a context
manager.

> It's not just a matter of getting it built but also understanding just
> what the final app will depend on. In my case I'm looking at a
> headless system so naturally I don't want to drag in half of gnome and
> dozens of libs if possible.

GUPnP doesn't depend on any UI libraries, so we're talking about glib,
libxml2, libsoup, libnm-dev (if you want NM integration).

> 3a)  for gssdp I get
>
> gtk-doc.make:7: GTK_DOC_USE_LIBTOOL does not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL

Your gtk-doc is either broken, or not installed.  Install gtk-doc-tools.

> libgssdp/Makefile.am:52: HAVE_INTROSPECTION does not appear in
> AM_CONDITIONAL

Install gobject-introspection.

> ./configure: line 11420: syntax error near unexpected token `0.6.4'
> ./configure: line 11420: `GOBJECT_INTROSPECTION_CHECK(0.6.4)'

That's because of the HAVE_INTROSPECTION failure above.

> 3b) for gupnp  ./configure ->
> ..
> checking for LIBCONIC... no
> configure: WARNING: conic 0.13 or greater not found.
> ./configure: line 12164: syntax error near unexpected token `1.0'
> ./configure: line 12164: `GTK_DOC_CHECK(1.0)'
>
> So where do I get the reference libconic ?

As has been said, this is for Maemo integration only.

Ross
--
Intel Open Source Technology Centre
http://oss.intel.com/