[gupnp] difficulties building gupnp and friends

All,

I've had some difficulties installing gupnp on a clean install of ubuntu 9.10.
It has been a frustrating experience and I wanted to share for feedback.
I'm pretty experienced at these things in general (but am not an automake expert).
I reckon if I have problems so will others.
I'd appreciate some constructive feedback on actually getting it working. I'm taking the time to write this because I can probably struggle through and get it working but then the next person that comes along is likely to have the same problem. No doubt most people on this list struggled at the start but after managing to get it going they forget the problems....

Related Notes:
* I did get an earlier version installed via point-and-click synaptic debs * I did succeed compiling one of the tarballs (gssdp) as it came with a "working" configure script
- however I want to work with head.

Issue 1
The build and install order is neither obvious nor simple IMHO.
I could not find any How-do-I-get-started install notes. It would be invaluable to have some lines saying something like:
a) git clone the following gssdp gupnp .....
b) make and install in the following order due to deps......
b1) for each one run autogen.sh the first time.... (we're not all automake experts)

Issue 2
Some comments I've seen state gupnp only needs a few of libs (eg glib, xml2, soap) , well debian seems to think it needs a lot more and when I build the tarballs I seem to need others including libconic etc... Could someone please identify all the deps, preferably in order (partly just so I can built it easily) It's not just a matter of getting it built but also understanding just what the final app will depend on. In my case I'm looking at a headless system so naturally I don't want to drag in half of gnome and dozens of libs if possible.

Issue 3
I still can't get it built from git head and the problems are in configure/deps on a clean install of ubuntu 9.10

After getting the head revision I ran autogen and it failed for both packages (gupnp and gssdp) that I tried.

3a)  for gssdp I get

kim@ubuntu-9:~/software/gssdp$ ./autogen.sh
autoreconf: Entering directory `.'
autoreconf: configure.ac: not using Gettext
autoreconf: running: aclocal
autoreconf: configure.ac: tracing
autoreconf: running: libtoolize --install --copy
libtoolize: putting auxiliary files in `.'.
libtoolize: copying file `./config.guess'
libtoolize: copying file `./config.sub'
libtoolize: copying file `./install-sh'
libtoolize: copying file `./ltmain.sh'
libtoolize: Consider adding `AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR([m4])' to configure.ac and libtoolize: rerunning libtoolize, to keep the correct libtool macros in-tree.
libtoolize: Consider adding `-I m4' to ACLOCAL_AMFLAGS in Makefile.am.
autoreconf: running: /usr/bin/autoconf
autoreconf: running: /usr/bin/autoheader
autoreconf: running: automake --add-missing --copy --no-force
configure.ac:3: installing `./missing'
gtk-doc.make:7: GTK_DOC_USE_LIBTOOL does not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL
doc/Makefile.am:77:   `gtk-doc.make' included from here
gtk-doc.make:50: ENABLE_GTK_DOC does not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL
doc/Makefile.am:77:   `gtk-doc.make' included from here
gtk-doc.make:175: ENABLE_GTK_DOC does not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL
doc/Makefile.am:77:   `gtk-doc.make' included from here
libgssdp/Makefile.am:52: HAVE_INTROSPECTION does not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL libgssdp/Makefile.am:73: `%'-style pattern rules are a GNU make extension
libgssdp/Makefile.am: installing `./depcomp'
autoreconf: automake failed with exit status: 1

Still it does produce a configure script so I tried running it just in case and got

checking for LIBGSSDP... yes
checking for LIBGTK... yes
./configure: line 11420: syntax error near unexpected token `0.6.4'
./configure: line 11420: `GOBJECT_INTROSPECTION_CHECK(0.6.4)'

(dies here)
===

3b) for gupnp  ./configure ->
..
checking for LIBCONIC... no
configure: WARNING: conic 0.13 or greater not found.
./configure: line 12164: syntax error near unexpected token `1.0'
./configure: line 12164: `GTK_DOC_CHECK(1.0)'

So where do I get the reference libconic ?
I found one location fpr a deb : http://repository.maemo.org/pool/fremantle/free/libc/libconic/
but I'm feeling a little uncertain - what version, what reference source, etc etc.

3c) And no doubt more things after the above are addressed.

So if someone wants to walk an experienced developer but gnome/gupnp newbie through this it would be appreciated

cheers

Kim