Re: [gugmasters] what kind of T-shirts? What kind of buttons and badges ?

On 01/29/2011 04:39 PM, shirish शिरीष wrote:
Hi all,
  I saw the discussion initiated on the softwarefreedomday.org mailing
list about the GNOME 3.0 launch party.

I went to see the goodies and what sort of launch party is to be
organized but the content seems to be sparse and un-coordinated.
Thank you for your compliments and encouragements.

http://live.gnome.org/ThreePointZero/Goodies
http://live.gnome.org/ThreePointZero/LaunchParty/Resources

If I look at the Resources page it sends me everywhere. What would
have been good/great if there was a simple pdf/odf or/and movies which
can be read and easily known.

As we say in French "the most beautiful girl in the world can only give what she has...".

Obviously you're not following GNOME 3.0 development and marketing very closely which explains some of your 'surprise'. Let me brief you a little to clarify things.

GNOME 3.0 is still very alpha with changes happening as we speak. In fact we're asking for people to do some homework since they will be representing GNOME 3.0 to their local community and a simple pdf won't cut it. API/ABI/feature freeze should happen on January 31st (in 2 days) to be more exact.

This is of course affecting our marketing abilities, videos, screenshots, etc we can generate. In fact we do plan to have slides, videos, USB downloadable images of GNOME 3.0 for people to run and demo (discussed on the marketing list) and other information.

As a matter of fact we have just launched gnome3.org and we have the same dilemma in content creation.

Also there has to be some sort of an early release snapshot bundled
with Ubuntu/Debian (whichever distribution the GNOME people prefer)
to showcase the new GNOME 3.0 with some specific feature-list.

Getting people around is not the big deal, getting people to know the
goodness is the real deal.

In Free Software projects I would say it's a bit like going to someone's one: you are required to look around a bit to learn more about the place. It is usually a good practice to introduce oneself and ask questions first when you don't find what you're looking for.

Fred