Re: [guadec-local] pre-conference

Hi Sanne,

Sanne te Meerman wrote:
> -I'm suggesting a couple of sessions, presentations... suggestions,
> comment?

If the target for the half-day is government, then sessions on things
like thin clients, management of big deployments and how to do
co-development would be top of my list of sessions. Many government
agencies want to contribute, but don't knnow how, or are hamstrung by
regulations. I'd like to see a "Hacking acquisition rules to use more
commercial free software" session, for example :)

> -Who are the best people to approach for these sessions as speakers,
> both within and outside or GNOME: i.e. Governments with experience with
> gnome, (France?-gendarmerie), introduction of GNOME community

Gendarmerie -> contact Chris Kenyon in Canonical. If he didn't do the
sale himself, he will know the key people in the project who did, and
perhaps sort you out with a suitably high-level introduction.

Assemblée National -> Idem - it's Ubuntu again, although I believe
Linagora got that contract...

Other governments with GNOME experience: Andalucia, Extremadura, Bhutan,
Itaipu power station in Brazil, and in general the province of Paranà,
also Sao Paolo, for smaller more local examples,

should give you some more (older) examples.

> -Can we use some of the material/focus later on in the real conference
> (but then focusing more on technical side of things, i.e. deployment of
> gnome with 500+ clients etc. (suggestion of Dave Neary).

I think it's a great idea to have one part of the conference focussed on
getting government GNOME users & prospects together, and another part of
the conference to enable conversations between govt & developers. Let's
limit the govt content in GUADEC to make sure that (a) it's the most
interesting possible and (b) we allow those conversations to start.

Dave Neary
GNOME Foundation member
dneary gnome org