Re: [guadec-local] pre-conference

Hi Sanne,

Sanne te Meerman wrote:
> -I'm suggesting a couple of sessions, presentations... suggestions,
> comment?

If the target for the half-day is government, then sessions on things
like thin clients, management of big deployments and how to do
co-development would be top of my list of sessions. Many government
agencies want to contribute, but don't knnow how, or are hamstrung by
regulations. I'd like to see a "Hacking acquisition rules to use more
commercial free software" session, for example :)

> -Who are the best people to approach for these sessions as speakers,
> both within and outside or GNOME: i.e. Governments with experience with
> gnome, (France?-gendarmerie), introduction of GNOME community

Gendarmerie -> contact Chris Kenyon in Canonical. If he didn't do the
sale himself, he will know the key people in the project who did, and
perhaps sort you out with a suitably high-level introduction.

Assemblée National -> Idem - it's Ubuntu again, although I believe
Linagora got that contract...

Other governments with GNOME experience: Andalucia, Extremadura, Bhutan,
Itaipu power station in Brazil, and in general the province of Paranà,
also Sao Paolo, for smaller more local examples,

http://live.gnome.org/GnomeMarketing/GnomeTestimonials
http://live.gnome.org/GnomeMarketing/GnomeDeployments
http://gnomejournal.org/article/27/gnome-deployment-pangea

should give you some more (older) examples.

> -Can we use some of the material/focus later on in the real conference
> (but then focusing more on technical side of things, i.e. deployment of
> gnome with 500+ clients etc. (suggestion of Dave Neary).

I think it's a great idea to have one part of the conference focussed on
getting government GNOME users & prospects together, and another part of
the conference to enable conversations between govt & developers. Let's
limit the govt content in GUADEC to make sure that (a) it's the most
interesting possible and (b) we allow those conversations to start.

Cheers,
Dave.

--
Dave Neary