Re: [guadec-list] Bid proposal for Rome GUADEC - INFO REQUEST

On 22/08/2014, Flavia Weisghizzi <flaviaw gnome org> wrote:
Hi all!

I'm writing this email to get some very preliminary info about the
opportunity to host a GUADEC event in Roma, presumably in summer 2016.

The core team GNOME side should be represented by me and Luca Ferretti (RT
member) and we would work in partnership with Codemotion [1], the Company
I'm currently employed for.

Codemotion organizes the biggest tech conference in Italy and Spain, and we
are very disposed to setup a GUADEC in Rome, so please consider I'm writing
also on their behalf.

I read and share to Mara (my boss - who reads us in CC) Wiki , How-to and
Guidelines [2][3][4], but there are some issues concerning mostly
fundraising and expenditures we should tackle:

In detail, we do need to know, if possibile:

   - The total sponsorship import gathered from each sponsor
   - The total import of all sponsorships

I think this would help you estimate:
https://wiki.gnome.org/GUADEC/PlanningHowTo/Sponsors

   - How is the total sponsorship import gathered shared between Foundation
   and Organizers?

The organisers are normally unpaid volunteers and the Foundation
expects the conference to turn as big a profit as possible so that it
can be used to fund other events, such as hackfests, if that is what
you mean.

   - A detail expenditures voices report (have an idea of the costs of the
   organization)

This very much varies from year to year depending on what can be
gotten for free, but it is generally hoped for that the conference can
have a EUR 30000 budget for travel and accommodation sponsorship.

   - Which expenses are covered by Foundation and which by Organizers?

I'm not really sure what you mean by this question. It is not expected
that organisers will fund the conference with their own money or keep
any profits.

   - Which is generally the import of sponsorships that local organizers
   manage to collect?

The more sponsorship that you can find, the better. Yes, organisers do
have to work their backsides off trying to find sponsorship :) but the
rest of the Foundation will help too.

   - Is there a GUADEC  financial statement related to previous editions
   that we can check?

Possibly, you can find some on the wiki under
https://wiki.gnome.org/GUADEC/<year>/Budget

   - Are there some defined obligations between Foundations and
   Organization?

To organise the conference and make it a good one. Some would argue
that the organisers are expected to carry out whatever instructions
the board gives them.

   - What is the sponsorship import attended for GUADEC 2015 (if a
   prevision exists?)

I'm really sorry, but I'm not sure what you mean by "import"?

   - Who is in charge to contact and deal with big international sponsors
   (Red Hat Google, Canonical..)

The board would normally do this as we can talk to them through the
advisory board.

Hope to see you all in Rome in 2016!

Cheers,

Flavia