Re: [guadec-list] Media Partner

On Mon, 2013-07-08 at 21:25 +0000, Debarshi Ray wrote:
On Mon, Jul 08, 2013 at 07:39:26PM +0200, Robert Kratky wrote:
Lets put matters in perspective. LWN has covered GUADEC in the past,
and are likely to do so again this year. They come and silently do
their job without asking for much in return.

The Czech media have not asked for anything. It was GUADEC who wanted them
for partners. They were not the ones who set the terms of the partnership.

It is not the Czech media that we are primarily talking about
here. The bone of contention is how to deal with the new set of
reporters that want to partner with us.

Personally, I value LWN more than even the 3 Czech media outlets, but
since GUADEC is in Brno, I think it is good to have some coverage in
the local media.

There are at least 2 aspects to keep in mind, it seems we are mixing
them here.

     1. In broad terms, local media partners or international media
        partners help to create awareness that a GNOME conference is
        happening and why it is important. There is always a chance to
        engage new users/developers or put GNOME in the mouth of people
        whenever there is a GNOME activity. Media partners help to
        achieve that. The vision for this is short-term impact.
     2. Keep updated the specialized media (like LWN) on what it is
        going with GNOME, what to expect in the future, who are the
        people they should get in contact with for specific topics, etc.
        This is important because whenever they write about GNOME, they
        will have more background and not guess. This avoid
        misunderstandings. The vision of this is mid/long-term impact
        (although there will be articles in the short-term)

IMVHO, both of them are important, but they are different things.

--
Germán Poo-Caamaño
http://calcifer.org/